Friday, January 11, 2013

Let the Games Begin!

Hello Friends.

Welcome to the Northside!  

I'd like to begin with a little bit about myself and my amazing boyfriend.  We're two twenty-somethings living in Upstate NY trying to carve out a spot for ourselves in the the universe.  I'm Rachel, and the hunk on my left is my amazing, super supportive and totally gorgeous boyfriend Josh, the love of my life.

Here's our rambunctious puppy Betty- She drives us crazy, in a good way

We've been living together for about 6 months and while it's been the happiest 6 months of my life, it is definitely not because of the apartment we live in.  I also have to mention that we live with Josh's twin brother, which is awesome because Josh gets to live with his built in best friend and I get the brother I never had.  

But back to the apartment. Or should I say tenement.  Yeah, remember learning about those slums that immigrants lived in at the turn of the century in New York City?  

Ours isn't much better.  

I'm pretty sure this place is a code enforcement officer's nightmare, not to mention a gangsta's paradise (our neighbors have been known to deal all sorts of fun little goodies).  I digress. While it's been a fun run we definitely are ready to move on to greener pastures.

I'm lucky enough to have a grandmother who owns a duplex (the house I grew up in until age 14).  When my family moved out my grandparents rented it out to tenants, but now I'm finally coming home!  We are absolutely over the moon that we will have somewhere safe and welcoming that we can actually be proud of.  Ever since we found out the news that we were going to be moving we've done nothing but talk non-stop about our plans to revamp and re-decorate the place.  

Josh and I are both avid thrifters, repurposers, and antiquers, so much of what you'll find on this site are DIY projects that we've gotten ourselves into.  We might not have a lot of money but what we lack in that department we more than make up for with creativity and elbow grease.  

It's January now, and we won't be moving until the beginning of March, so over the next few months check back to see the progress we've made with the place.  In the mean time I'll try to post mini projects, the packing and moving process and any helpful or interesting tips I find.  I'd love this page to serve as a scrapbook and how-to guide all rolled up in one.  

I'm a self-proclaimed Pinterest junkie so many of the projects I've found on there and have just been waiting to have a place of my own to try them out in (I've already got an entire pin board dedicated to the duplex and projects we would like to try!).  

I welcome your thoughts, tips and insight, so don't be shy, we love comments!  The internet is a great resource for inspiration and I fully intend on sowing as much information as I glean!

I hope you like our little corner of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment